This page is part of the Bethsaida Then and Now project.
2013 Bethsaida Experience - Archaeological Dig and Study Tour
Applications are now open for the 2013 Bethsaida Experience, a program that includes two weeks on the archaeological dig at Bethsaida as well as opportunities to visit selected sites in other parts of Israel and Jordan.
For more detailed information about the 2013 program, as well as previous tours, please visit the SFC BETHSAIDA EXPERIENCE site.
That site has been configured to allow guest access without a username and password.
Usernames and passwords are required to post messages on the site. To set up a user account or for any other enquiries about the 2013 program, please email the program director, Dr Greg Jenks.
June 16 - arrive Amman (overnight) and visit Gerash on way to Ginosar
June 16-28 - Bethsaida dig based at Ginosar Village
June 28-30 - Nazareth
June 30-6 July - St George's College, Jerusalem
Features of the draft itinerary:
- Weekend of June 22/23 - there will be an opportunity to visit Chorazin and the lakeside holy places (Mt Beatitudes, Tabgha and Capernaum) on the Saturday and other selected sites in the north, such as Hazor and Banias/TelDan, or Gamla. On the Sunday there will be an opportunity to worship with the Anglican community in Haifa, and then visit selected nearby sites such as Akko and Megiddo. Costs have been included in the total price for the tour.
- Weekend of June 28/30 - while staying in Nazareth there will be an opportunity for a walking tour of the old market area, including several local churches, and also to visit Nazareth Village. On the Sunday morning we will worship with the Anglican community at Christ Church, before travelling by bus to Jerusalem.
- St George's College in Jerusalem is developing a special program for our group, with a focus on local historical and religious sites. While the details are yet to be confirmed, this is expected to include opportunities to visit key sites in the Old City, as well as the Israel Museum, the Holocaust Memorial (Yad Vashem), Bethlehem, , and Qumran.
Daily schedule at Bethsaida dig
Our work requires various levels of physical conditioning, but there is a job for everyone. Tasks include digging, sifting dirt, washing pottery and finds and sorting and cataloguing finds.
Work days are Monday - Friday
- 5:30am - Depart Ginosar for Bethsaida
- 6.00am - Work commences
- 9:00am - Breakfast at the site (45 min break)
- 11.00am - Popsicle break
- 12.30pm - Depart site for return to Ginosar
- 1:00pm - Lunch at the hotel
- 4:30pm - “Pottery reading”
- 7:00pm - Dinner
- 8:00pm - Evening Lecture
For costing purposes, the program has been arranged in two sections:
1. Core program: Return air travel, two weeks on the dig (16-28 June), weekend visits to lakeside holy places and other selected sites in northern Israel, two nights in Nazareth (28 & 29 June). All participants.
2. Additional week at St George's College in Jerusalem (30 June - 6 July), during which time we will visit selected sites of historical and religious significance in and around Jerusalem. Optional program.
- The cost for the total package (Bethsaida/Nazareth plus SGC) is $8,249.00
- The core program without the week in Jerusalem at SGC is: $6,499.00
Some participants will be attending the Sabeel International Young Adults Conference from June 30 to July 6. That conference has its own costs, and these will need to be paid directly by the participants.
Other people may opt to return home after the core program concludes in Nazareth on Sunday, 30 June or to continue their travels to other destinations.
Eligible CSU students will be able to access $6,051 of financial assistance under the OS-HELP program, and a further $500 from the Vice-Chancellor's Travel Fund.
We already have several registrations, but anyone wishing to participate in the 2013 Bethsaida Holy Land Study Tour is now invited to contact Audrey Warren at Mission Travel as soon as possible so that you can register for the trip and pay the $500 deposit to secure a place on the trip.
How to reserve your space at Bethsaida in 2013
If you would like to be part of this experience, you can register an expression of interest by contacting MISSION TRAVEL GROUP:
605 Camberwell Rd, Camberwell VIC 3124
Please direct all enquiries about the tour, travel arrangements, etc to the friendly and experienced staff at Mission Travel Group.
Availability of places, wait list options
A wait list will be established once all 25 places are reserved, so that people can be offered an opportunity to participate in any spots become available.